The Wooster DORA is a designated public area where alcoholic beverages can be purchased in a designated cup from permitted establishments and carried within the district.
The Wooster DORA is a collaborative initiative led by Wooster City Advisors, Wooster City Council, Wooster Chamber, and Main Street Wooster. Initiated by a local group of restauranteurs, The Wooster DORA aims to support and promote downtown restaurants, retail operations, and public space utilization.
Signs to look for as you are downtown enjoying the DORA.
WOOSTER DORA: RULES AND REGULATIONS
What is the Downtown Wooster Designated Outdoor Area (DORA) and how does it work?
- Patrons age 21 and older may purchase and enjoy an alcoholic beverage from a liquor-permitted establishment; then sip, stroll, shop, and explore within the DORA boundaries of Downtown Wooster.
- Before a patron leaves the liquor-permitted establishment with alcohol, he/she must request that it be placed in a DORA-designated cup.
- Only beverages in DORA cups are permitted and exempt from Wooster City’s open-container laws. No cans or bottles are permitted within DORA.
What are the DORA hours?
- 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 11:00p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday, excluding the annual Woosterfest.
What are the rules?
- Purchase an alcoholic drink at a DORA-designated establishment and have the beverage poured into a specially marked cup.
- Drink and stroll along the sidewalks and in shops within DORA boundaries.
- Alcoholic beverages CANNOT be brought from one liquor-permitted bar/restaurant to another establishment that serves alcohol.
- Purchase an alcoholic beverage at an authorized location and enjoy it while strolling within DORA boundaries.
- The drink must be in an official DORA cup. Sip and Shop!
- You are welcome to take a DORA drink into an establishment that does not have a liquor license.
- A business owner/operator who does not permit DORA drinks will display such signage. Dispose of your DORA cup properly when you finish. Help keep Wooster City beautiful!
- Have fun while respecting that not all individuals within the DORA boundaries are drinking. Maintain a family-friendly atmosphere at all times.
- Bring your own alcoholic beverages into Downtown.
- Walk around with an alcoholic drink, not in a designated DORA cup (no cans or glass permitted).
- Take a beverage purchased from one liquor-permitted DORA establishment, into another liquor-permitted establishment.
- You must dispose of your previously purchased DORA cup/beverage before entering another liquor-permitted establishment.